The Skinny Lasagna Soup!
For those of you who dont like tomatoes soups… I don’t. I can’t. Nor tomatoe based drinks…! But THIS SOUP is amazing. Simple as that. :)
Tastes like lasagna… but its low cal soup! MUAHAHAHAHA! Amazing!!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 vegetarian spicy tofu sausage*
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Italian seasoning*
- 720 gr can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6-4 cups vegetable stock
- 60 gr pasta (any short, curly pasta with some texture like Mafalda works best)
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- salt and pepper
In a large pot, pour the olive oil and poach the onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and the Italian seasoning, and cook for an additional minute.
Add the tomatoes, bay leaves, and vegetable stock, and stir well to combine. Bring to a boil and then let simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
Add your choice of pasta and cook as long as it says on the package. Once the pasta is done, turn the fire off, so it doesn’t overcook, stir in basil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- You can substitute the tofu sausage for any low fat sausage (like turkey).
- If you can’t find/don’t have any italian seasoning mix, do your own.. try mixing together the following ingredients (all or some you like): dried basil, dried oregano, dried red chilli flakes, minced sun-dried tomatoes, dried capers, dried olives, garlic powder, onion salt, dried thyme, dried grounded rosemary,…
- Try to stick to 1-2 tablespoons of oil, since thats whats bringing the fat and the calories to this soup!
- If you are feeling like it, you can mix some low fat cheeses (e.x: low fat mozzarella) and put some on top of your bowl after serving.
- Makes for 7-8 servings of roughly 116 cals per cup.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, I can’t get enough!! :) If you try it (and you should) let me know what you think.